Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My environment

As I said before, I am distracted by hackability. I procrastinate by tweaking things. My programming environment fully reflects that I am the kind of person who finds config files a far more interesting form of entertainment than Farmville or television.

I've evolved what I consider the perfect environment. It is utterly hackable, completely inscrutable to the impatient and incurious, and it provides a rather more valuable avenue for procrastination than what most people would choose.

Here's my environment: Arch Linux, Xmonad, emacs, zsh, screen, uzbl, and conkeror. (Look in the sidebar for some of my dotfiles in github). In short, I can tweak anything, as much as I want, and never be absolutely done. 



The upshot is that my procrastination is guaranteed to teach me something, as well as putting more awesome in my day. The downside, as far as I can tell, is that I have no clue who or what Lady Gaga is without googling.


Make your environment hackable; it keeps you off potentially more distracting hobbies like black tar heroin.

No comments:

Post a Comment