Friday, May 28, 2010

One Month Codebase Project


2:chaitin~/srcs% ls
arc/  conkeror/  ezbl/  git/  jquery/  mongoDB/  ruby/  slime/  tags  unix-jun/  uzbl/  xmonad/

I've already got a bunch of cool code I read. Nowhere near enough, though. 

If you don't already have a habit of reading code for fun, do it. You'll thank yourself for discovering something not only more meditative than zazen, more frustrating than slamming your genitals in a drawer, more addictive than sudoku, and more productive than NetHack, but also more fun than masturbation. Reading good code is like being Sherlock Holmes in the moment of solving a crime. Reading bad code is like being Watson as he watches Holmes repeatedly harpoon a pig carcass, wondering why the fuck didn't he look around for a better apartment. Both will teach you.

Previously, I've been skipping around willy nilly. A few hours reading one file in one repo, getting a bit of a hang of it, then switching to something else that interests me. In keeping with my effort to prevent getting distracted by projects and shiny closures, I'm trying out something. 

Each month I'm going to focus on one codebase. By the end of the month, sans distracting forays elsewhere, I will know that codebase better than I would previously have. Maybe even better than others who divide their time, skipping the begats across repos.

This month, it's Ruby

I'll post more on it later. Thanks to Oscar for providing the impetus to get my shit in gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment